Heart & Soul Social Reading Group
This group is offered to help relieve the low feelings of loss and provide inspiration by encouraging new connections with quality literature and like-minded people. Friends and family members welcome too.
“Book lovers and non-readers alike are invited to a friendly, weekly group to relax and enjoy great stories and poems. Everyone has their own copy to follow as they wish. I read aloud – and others can if they wish – and we pause to discover what the writing means to us, and share spontaneous responses.” Says facilitator Sarah Hopkins.
TUESDAYS 2-4.pm. (£5 or affordable donation).
SUMMER 2016: July 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th August 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd, 30th
at Riverstone, 18 Dart Mills, Buckfastleigh TQ11 0NF
Come to all or any sessions!
Your facilitator is Sarah Hopkins: 01364 653994 for info and to book.
Lois Tonkin Tuesday 5th July at 11am. FULL – SORRY
We are very lucky to have Lois visit us from New Zealand. Lois is a lecturer, researcher, counsellor, and writer about loss and grief. “Living with the losses of life is not so much about getting ‘over’ them, as finding ways to live with them, and live a happy and full life that includes them. Grieving is an experience of making sense of our losses, of getting adjusted to a different life and different expectations; of growing around them.”
Death Cafe, Moretonhampstead. Saturday 16th July, 10am – 12 noon. All welcome
Come along and have an open discussion about death, dying and bereavement, and enjoy a cuppa with delicious cake. At Bellacouche, Unitarian Chapel, Cross Street, Moretonhampstead. Call Yuli on 01647 441405 for more details or just turn up.
- Workshops about Funerals, Caring for the Dead and Bereavement – for care homes, hospices, doctors surgeries, schools and other groups (please call if you would like us to run a session)
- Death Cafes – where you can come and discuss any aspect of dying, death and bereavement – see below
- An open ongoing group for professional therapists and practitioners
- Open Days at our funeral home in Buckfastleigh
- Trips to a local crematorium – yes seriously! If you want to see how a crematorium works and that you really do get the ashes, we will take you. For a preview, see video at the bottom of this link page.
- Professional training courses for the Funeral trade – see below
If you are interested in any of these please contact us on 01803 840779
If you would like to help us organise a Death Cafe in your area (in Devon) please call Jane on 01803 840779.
What are Death Cafés?
At a Death Cafe people, often strangers, gather to eat cake, drink tea and discuss death. It will be a confidential group directed discussion with no agenda, objectives or themes with the stated objective: “to increase awareness of death with a view to helping people make the most of their (finite) lives”. It is a discussion group, rather than a grief support or counseling session. Click here for the national Death Cafe web site.
Professional Funeral Training courses
We also run a professional trainings through Green Fuse training:
- The Funeral Celebrants’ Diploma, an APT accredited diploma
- Funeral Arranging
- Care & Management of the Body
If you are interested in any of these courses please contact us on 01803 840779