You may have come to this website because you have a funeral to arrange, right away, soon, or further into the future. To do so is a tender task, perhaps bringing up feelings of sadness, loss, confusion, isolation, overwhelm, love. Maybe it’s the middle of the night and you can’t sleep, or you have a few minutes before you go back to tend for the person who is dying, or, if the death has taken place, before the world rushes back in. Whatever your situation, we want to be here for you, to help you through this.
One way we can help immediately is to offer you a free copy of our acclaimed book We Need To Talk About The Funeral. Call us to receive a free download of this book on 01803 840779. You will find it very helpful.
The following pages cover the main topics. Just ten or fifteen minutes looking through this website and you will know much of what you need to know to arrange a funeral that is right for the person you have in mind. We can meet you and go through these things in more detail.
There’s a number of broad areas for you to think about:
- Whether the person left any requests or wishes regarding their funeral
- If a choice has been made between cremation or burial, and where that will take place
- The style of funeral – traditional or contemporary, formal or informal – the coffin, cars, venue, flowers
- How to make the funeral individual, to reflect the character, values and beliefs of the person, their fundamental nature
- To what extent family and friends want to be involved, with the arrangements, caring for the person who has died, during the funeral on the day
- After the event – the wake, memorial stone, ashes, memorial ceremony, bereavement
Heart and Soul Funerals (previously Green Fuse Funerals) provides a friendly and accessible funeral service combined with a high degree of knowledge and professionalism. They were jointly awarded Funeral Director Of The Year 2012 by the Good Funeral Guide. Simon Smith holds the top qualification in the funeral industry. We are able to do everything that needs to be done, or we can give you a light guiding hand to do more yourselves. We undertake our work as funeral directors to provide funerals in Totnes, Buckfastleigh, Ashburton, Ivybridge, Modbury, Kingsbridge, across the South Hams, Exeter, Torquay, Paignton, Plymouth, Plympton, and across south Devon and central Devon.
Helpsheet: 10 things to consider when arranging a funeral